Saturday, July 24, 2010

Friendship contemplation (just another rant)


Lately I've begun to think about friendship and what it really means and why we need friends. To be honest, I probably think about these types of things too much, if you know me well you'd probably say I'm over-analysing situations and people or whatnot. Maybe I am and maybe I tend to, but that is only because I truly value my friends and not because I want to be analytical.

Ever since high school, possibly from fourth form onwards I guess you can say that I lost my naivety and innocence (in a friends-related sort of sense). Back in the days before then, I was the sort of girl who thought that I should try to be friends with everyone no matter if we got on or not. Obviously it's not as easy and simple as that, coming from my experience. If it were, then the whole world would be friends and everyone would get along but that's not reality. Reality is we vary in personalities, habits, wants, needs and so on. Friends somewhat fulfil or supplement those things. That is why we often see people who are very different butt heads in ideas or simply do not get along.
I just want say...that's normal!

Previously, I would of thought to myself something along the lines of 'Why can't I just be friends with them, why don't they like me? What's wrong with me?'
I now understand that is just a part of life, no one is perfect. We cannot force ourselves to like someone just like we can't force ourselves to hate another. Let's just cherish the friends we have at the moment, remember the wonderful memories we've had with previous friends and hope for success in our friendsips to come :D

2 comments:

  1. to quote just one of many quotes said by someone that changed my view to life: "there are friends for times, and there are friends who stay, it is you who decide who passes and goes, and who stays. Let go of those who can't stay, and hold on to those who want to stay." and another quote from somewhere i can't remember but goes something along the lines like: Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quotes are truly inspirational, thanks for sharing them with me. Wish I could have read them sooner =]

    ReplyDelete